TO THE HAMBOURG CONSERVATORY WEBSITE
The Hambourg Conservatory
of Music was a private institution established in 1911 by the
internationally famous Russian piano pedagogue, Professor Michael
Located in a mansion at the northeast corner of Sherbourne and Wellesley
Streets in Toronto, the spacious rooms and high ornate ceilings provided
an ideal venue.
On the grand main stairway was a bronze statue of Mercury holding
a torch which lit the way to the upper regions. Busts and reproductions
of the great composers adorned the studios, and the hallways
were festooned with inscribed photos of famous musicians and
composers together with posters, caricatures, concert programs
and other memorabilia.
This site will tell you about the illustrious history of the Conservatory
and the family that created and nurtured it.
Obituary tribute to Boris Hambourg by Elie Spivak, from the Arts and Letters Club, Dec. 1954
Suggested reading - Koch, Eric:The Brothers Hambourg,
Robin Brass Press, Toronto, c.1997
Hambourg Centennial Celebration at the Arts & Letters Club, April 4, 2011
The Hambourg Trio Jan, Mark, Boris
acrylic 24"x32" by Edward Hausmann