The Hambourg Conservatory
artist: George Hume
Over the years the distinguished faculty included Harry Adaskin, Marcus
Adeney, Boris Hambourg, Helmut Blume, George Boyce,
Giuseppe Carboni, Rachel Cavalho, Ruth Cross, Henri
Czaplinski, Norah Drewett, Ernest Farmer, Broadus Farmer,
Eduardo Ferrari-Fontana, Emil Gartner, Geza de Kresz,
Eleanor Griffith, Alberto Guerrero, Clement Hambourg,
Redferne Hollinshead, James Campell McInnes, Yasha Paii,
Bernard Preston, Marcel Ray, Maurice Solway, Elie Spivak
and Reginald Stewart.
The Conservatory was also the headquarters of the world famous Hart
House String Quartet established in 1924 by the Rt.
Hon. Vincent Massey, then Governor-General of Canada.
Although the building no longer stands, the Hambourg
Conservatory of Music will remain an important landmark
in Toronto’s musical history. The site is presently
occupied by the St. James Town Library and Community
Centre, where a painting by Toronto architect George
Hume and a description of the Conservatory were installed
in May, 2009.